Year 12 AS Homework- Thu 14th October (Miss Doan)
- Dates of birth and death
- Places he lived and where he worked for the majority of his career
- The date and any circumstances of the composition of his Op. 33 quartets
- A brief overview of his works, eg. no of symphonies, piano sonatas, quartets etc
- Any other interesting information
As discussed in the lesson, it is important that you begin to read articles written by academics, not just by enthusiasts. The link to the Grove Dictionary online can be found in "General web links" on this blog and is invaluable (but please do not copy and paste). Other books which are worth reading and can be found in most public libraries include:
- A History of Western Music (D. Grout) - this is available in a number of editions
- The Cambridge Companion to Haydn (C. Clark) - this is a link to Google Books (therefore you can read it online!). There is information on p144 on Op. 33 quartets.
- The Cambridge Guide to the String Quartet (R. Stowell) - again a Google Books link with information on p 203 on the Op. 33 quartets.
Due: Tuesday 19th October 2010
Reminder: if you would like to buy your anthologies, please bring a cheque or cash for £15.81 (cheques made payable to Beaumont School) on Tuesday or Thursday.